Monday, January 14, 2008

Take One

Here is Daniel posing in front of his new playset with Vincent and Maggie. It's a big hit with all of them. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa!

There is something missing in this picture. Do you know what it is? It's a little boy named Daniel. We made our first attempt at potty training today. I was excited (and nervous) to start after reading a couple books about it. It was supposed to be a fun, exciting, encouraging day of learning and treats. Things did not go as planned. We were using the book "Potty Training in Less Than a Day" which has some great ideas. My mom used this method with a couple of my sisters so even though it sounds too good to be true, I know it can work....well, not on my boy.
The whole foundation of this method is getting the child to check if he's "dry & clean", when he checks himself and answers "yes", he gets a treat and congratulations, exciting stuff. There is also a doll that wets that we practice the whole toilet procedure with, then he practices sitting on the potty himself and all that. Well, let's back up to step one: I'm supposed to ask him every 5 minutes if he's dry and clean and every 5 minutes, he's supposed to say yes. This is a kid who has known how to say yes and no for over a year now. Does he ever answer yes? No, he doesn't. He says the word "yes" when I tell him "say yes" but he's never once answered a question "yes". If ever he wants to answer in the affirmative, he says "okay"... never "yes". So when the first part of our training requires him to do something he just doesn't do, we've failed already. Add to that, the more encouraging and enthusiastic I was about what he was doing, the more annoyed he got. He cheered up once I got all frustrated. And as for training a boy, when he does someday go in the potty, the mechanics don't look promising to me. What I mean by that is, looking at where things are aimed, there will be a big mess in front of the toilet even if he leans forward a bit (which is the only remedy I've heard for this so far) He hates the little guard attachement for the seat and the pediatrician recommened having him sit at this point. I'm at a loss and looking for some helpful advice. I'm hoping some experienced mothers will be able to give me some pointers or a different method. Until then, it's double diaper duty for me. The good news is that he's pretty young, so I've got some time. Maybe he'll be up for it in a couple months.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, the garage really is their new play haven isn't it... i can't believe how big maggie is getting and what a cheeseball daniel is turning into :)

The Perry's said...

YOu can put cheerios in the big potty and have him aim for them. That's how joe learned. =)

Nicole Wilkinson said...

Well if it helps as Jessica learned this weekend, Darian doesn't tell me before she has to go. She waits till she goes in her diaper and then tells me and runs to her potty after she has pulled down her pants and sometimes in process of taking the diaper off.

tami said...

We didn't do too well our first attempt either. I thought i wanted to get her trained but sometimes it just seems easier to change a diaper.. We do need to get serious about it again. She understands now. I just need to find time that I am not working for a couple days in a row. Summer would be easier because then i could just let her run around in a t-shirt and undies.
Fun times! Good Luck!! No words of advice here,still trying to figure it out myself!

Jen said...

Ditch the guard so that Daniel can't pee all over himself (it just splashes back, or pinches his tender area!). We had that same toilet, and it was pretty small for my Danny by the time he was ready to potty-train (age 3!). Sometimes it worked better to just put a step stool in front of the regular toilet. I had one friend whose son didn't wear underwear for the first 3 or 4 months of potty-training because he could "feel it" better. We did give Danny little rewards when he peed in the potty. Poop was a whole other matter...(he would hide under a blanket and once set on the potty, he would clam up.)

Don't rush it if you can hold back. I tried with Danny for 2 weeks when he was one month shy of 3 years old, and it was so frustrating! Two months later he potty-trained himself, and I didn't have to do anything. 3 months after that he wasn't even wearing a pull-up at night. 1 year later and he's only had 2 accidents in the middle of the night.

Good luck! I feel for you!

Jen said...

I was rereading my post and wanted to clarify that my friend's son did wear pants... he just went "commando." (Can't help but think of Joey from Friends!)

Leslie said...

Kudos on starting potty training...and, may I say that the first picture looks like a total album cover? HILARIOUS! Love it.
From what I understand, kids will just "decide" when it's time to be potty trained...and boys take longer. (Go figure!)

Anonymous said...

im sorry i dont have any advice it'll happen someday though.

jenni said...

after having three boys i have learned it is just better to wait until they are ready. they will tell you when they are ready and it is soo much easier. i especially learned this with my first. i tried for weeks to potty train him, finally he said "mom, when i am three i will go" and low and behold on his third bday he went and never looked back. don't push him, he'll do it. also, the second one and third one pretty much do it on their own cause they want to be like their older brother.

Claire Hallahan said...

Hi there, I found that using a potty was a negative thing as it was so 'removed' from the real thing. So we bought a seat that goes on the big loo and makes the space smaller, more comfortable and a little less scary! It also had handlebars, a little step and it folded neatly away. You are better off, if possible to take a week or two and let nature take it's course. Have plenty of towels and clorox around though, oh and patience too. I'm not sure how old your little boy is but the closer to three the better for boys. They are a little more sensitive about the whole process than girls are....more complicated equipment I guess! Good luck!