
I've been unpacking this week: unpacking from the hospital, unpacking the boys stuff from Grandma's house and unpacking my bags from a trip I wasn't able to go on. I was in the middle of packing my bags for Vancouver when Vincent and I went to the pediatrician's office for his ear infection. I didn't return home for a week. I was so looking forward to 4 days away with my husband and attending my great friend's wedding.


Sheryl and I met in college. First we played volleyball together, she was our setter and I played right side. Then we became roommates my last year in the dorms at Biola. When her heart was broken, she cried on my shoulder. When my heart was broken, I cried on hers. After I graduated, we drove to Colorado Springs together and spent the summer with her cousin, Ang. We got a job on the assembly line at Current Greeting Cards after trying to sell meat from one of those door to door meat trucks. By mid morning, the guy training us stopped at his motel room to smoke a joint and brought it back to the truck where we were waiting. It was around this time we figured that job might not work out. So we did the Lavern and Shirley gig. Later that summer we travelled through Europe with our mothers. Then Sheryl finished her last year at Biola while I taught down in Baytown, TX.

The following summer, Sherl and I were on the road again, this time we went up to WA then out to Nantucket where we spent the summer with my Aunt Susan and Uncle John. We worked the restaurant biz out there and had a great time. By September our island time was over so we bought an old VW Golf named "Tucket" in Boston and began a 5 week road trip from Maine to Florida and back out to Cali. We stayed with mostly family and friends a few days at a time. We cut our hair, went on fan boat rides, sang karaoke, canoed down the Delaware and visited Graceland. While we drove, we co-authored a book about our summer, "Coast to Coast with Beck & Sherl". There are 8 in print.

After getting her first Masters, Sheryl spent a few years teaching English in China. She was the maid of honor in George and my wedding in 2002. She moved up to Vancouver a few years ago and just finished her second Masters, she graduated 2 days after getting married.

Missing her and Frank's wedding breaks my heart. As I sat in the hospital room next to Vincent's bed, I pictured her walking down the isle and what a cool ceremony they were having. I can't wait to meet her new hubby, whose made my friend so happy. Sheryl is a beautiful, caring, sensitive, thoughtful person. I love her and I'm so happy for her and Frank. They're off honeymooning right now. Hopefully we'll be able to reschedule our trip and see them both very soon.
4 comments:
i'm so sorry you didn't get to go Beck. you are an amazing mom and i would love to offer to babysit whenever you want to go on that trip
I teared up reading this. So sad that you didn't get to go, but so happy that you've had such a great friend over so many years and through so many experiences. Congratulations Sheryl!
You've been so blessed to have a
friend of kindred spirit...you have
touched us all with your precious
story. Thanks for keeping the "rest" of us abreast on little
vince. hugs, auntie deb
YAAAY, Sheryl! Oh, and Becky, I just read all of Vincent's ordeal...I am praying for him continually and for you, George, Daniel and Gavin! We love you dearly! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this but you never lost sight of Who was...and always IS in control. Thanks for posting all of the updates!
Post a Comment