I was talking to someone I'd recently met about her cool new job and after she told me about what she does for a living, she asked that familiar question. "So what do you do?" It's a common question, but I'm usually just hanging out with all moms of young kids, so it's rare that I have the opportunity to answer it. I literally had to stop myself from saying: "I'm just a mom." I guess context is part of my problem. Is it a question of what I do with my time, or how I make money, or how I label myself? At first I felt like I needed to answer, what is your profession? Well... I'm sometimes a photographer, but don't feel comfortable calling myself that. I also do some graphic design and web design, but I don't feel like those labels fit either. I mean, I'm not in the professional world and it seems like the things I learned earning my bachelors degree have become by and large obsolete now. I have not kept up with technology fast enough in the graphic design world. Then there is our flooring business, the one George supports our family with. So I'm a CFO and do some office work for that, taxes, accounts payable, blah blah blah. 
But where did the "I'm just a mom" thought come from. I don't really think that. It's just that what I do doesn't really pay the bills or count for much on a resume. I believe the responsibility I have to raise my kids, to teach and train them in the way they should go, to encourage them to be the people God created them to be is the most important and significant thing I could possibly do with my life right now. It's my calling, and it's my job. I wish I could answer as Peggy Campolo did when she was a stay-at-home mom: "I am nurturing two (or 3) Homo Sapiens into the dominant values of the Judaeo-Christian tradition in order that they might become instruments for the transformation of the social order into the kind of eschatological utopia God envisioned from the beginning of time."
Instead I think of the term "housewife", it sounds like "housefly", but it's usually one of the first things to pop into my head when I'm asked for my occupation. So I say "Umm" while I think about how to answer.

4 comments:
So cute!!! You are blessed and have the best profession in the world!
Love it! And I love her definition! :) Your boys are so very blessed to have you and all your skills. :) Love you Beck!
Well said beck!! Also, I love the pterodactyl wings
When someone asks me I always say that I take care of my three babies and I have a couple part time gigs. I agree with Tami and Nikki and Jess. "You are blessed to be a stay- at-home mom in the bay area especially!" Love ya.
Post a Comment